About Me

My photo
I am currently serving a 2-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in the Washington Kennewick Mission. My current address is: 8656 West Gage Blvd., #205, Kennewick, Washington 99336

Homecoming: 11am, Glines 4th Ward, Hwy 40 Chapel, Vernal, UT on 27 March 2011

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 16, 2010

Hello Again,
Well, this week we had a pretty cool lesson with this lady and introduced her to a Ward member and they exchanged #'s and are going out to dinner tonight... They totally hit it off. So, yeah, this lady is making real progress.

So here is the lesson I have learned this week. I was reading in the New Testament and realized that almost every time Jesus performed a miracle he spoke to the person and told them to "tell no man" and so I questioned myself as to why he would do that. Why would he discourage people from spreading who he is? My thought is that he knew that eternally a person's soul would be better off if they came to him because they felt the Spirit testify rather than someone coming unto him for the sole reason that so and so said he could heal. I think he would have rather had one person's testimony built on the feelings of the Spirit than a multitude that is built on physical knowledge by seeing a miracle or such. I think this is one of those instances where the "easy way out" in the end turns out to be the not so easy way. I think about that as I teach people... I have read so much factual physical evidence that supports the Book of Mormon but why would I share that with people? In a way I think that is Satan's plan---everything Satan does appeals to the carnal man's mind. On the other hand, Heavenly Father sends his messages to us through the Spirit. So, when I teach I refrain from telling them that, isn't it odd that when Cortes came to the Americas the Mayans thought he was a God/Christ; isn't it odd that the Book of Mormon was brought forth during a rare moment of religious freedom and when the invention of the printing press would allow for mass distribution, just to note a few instances. All these things together are curious and can combine to create a strong testimony; however, they are all for naught when you come up against a question you haven't answered yet for yourself. That is, why Jesus didn't want to spread the knowledge of his miracles... He wanted them to gain their testimony from the feelings of the Spirit when they listened to him. Those feelings can pull you to the surface of any deep question you may ever have or one that someone has for you. I speak from experience in this. Thus, when we teach, we teach to the soul rather than the mind because people recognize what we teach because they have heard it before. (d&c 138:56) So that is the Lord's way and the only way to do what we do every day any other way is not right and not sanctioned. That's what I learned this week.

So in closing now, I will have been out for one year on the 18th and I need a new suit still... I'll enclose the pics of my current one... it is sad. I was gonna just endure but my suit pants ripped real bad and now I have to wear black pants that don't really match. Also, Happy Birthday, Mom, on the 19th! Love Ya! As of now according to the fly home schedules, I will fly home on 22 March 2011. I say that because I'm not truly half way until the 20th---so yeah, just letting you all know!

Love Y'all,
Elder Schroeder
Reported by Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment